Having a business is such a big achievement to many, no matter what walk of life you come from.
Whether you have built a business from the ground up or have simply been a part of its growth before taking over, there is still a huge part of you that feels pride and responsibility for its success. So, what do you do when you find yourself in the position of either expanding the business to another location or when relocating the business entirely? There are several things that must be considered when making this decision and that’s where we are here to help!
Below is a helpful list of factors that must be considered and remembered when considering office relocation. Whether a big, small or, in-between sized business, read on for more, there is something here for you.
- Why Are You Relocating: This is the first and most important component to think about when considering an office relocation, as it will determine the choices that you make from this point on. Are you moving due to an increase in demand for your services in a different location? Are you needing to find a larger office space due to expanding your business? Is it simply, you want a change of scenery and are opening a second branch location? Whatever the reason for the office relocation, there will need to be a lot of thought and planning put into this decision.
- Making a Detailed Plan: An obvious component of any decision in life but having a detailed plan in place will ensure that things go as to plan as possible. There are so many things to consider when planning an office relocation, that this will probably be the most time-consuming part of the whole project, but one that will be worth it and pay off in the long term. Some questions that you will need to consider include: Who or what will be moving? How long will it take to complete the move? Will you need storage at all during the transitional period? These are all important components of any office relocation, and you should have the answers to these questions before kicking things off.
- Who or What Will Be Moving: This is an especially important question to consider for those who are considering an office relocation for the expansion of a business, particularly if you are not hiring an entirely new group of staff in the new location. How many people will you be transferring to the new location? Which pieces of furniture will you be moving to the new location? If you are in a position where you will require office clearance services for either location, consider the use of house and office removal services like that of Rubbish2Go who provide office and house clearance in Northampton. Companies like this will clear out any existing rubbish and other items which require removal, leaving the premises safe and clean for you to utilise. Providing personal and commercial services, there will be something for everyone.
- Purchasing Equipment: If you have moved furniture to your new location and found that there are still some things missing, it is well worth considering purchasing new items for this new location, and for the existing one (if you have opened a secondary branch of your business). While this will be a costly one-time payment, it is certainly one that will pay its dividends and more over time. You cannot have an office with no furniture in, so this is something that needs considering when relocating your office.
- Budgeting: Again, like most big decisions in life, you will want to ensure that you have budgeted well for it and that you have the means to cover all the services that you are utilising during your relocation – like that of office clearance services, new furniture and storage units where applicable. If this office relocation is happening to open the second location of an existing business, you will most probably have plenty of funds to cover these types of expenses. However, if you are a business that is just starting, you will want to make haste that you can afford to use these types of services before fully committing.
- Don’t Be Afraid: While this is easier said than done, it is certainly something that you should remind yourself of often. Relocating an office or opening another branch of an existing one is no easy feat, and it would be naïve to assume that there won’t be any obstacles. With any luck, any that you should face you will be prepared for and would have planned for. This is an exciting time and should be one that is relished; not many people in their lives can say they have accomplished moving or opening an office, so this is also a cause for celebration upon completion!