Power factor correction modules are an indispensable component of any given electrical grid’s AC-DC power supply.
It is utilized in combination with a hold-up capacitor, a set of extremely efficient DC-DC converters, and an appropriateAC line filter. Backed by these components, the power factor correction modulestarts to draw a nearly ideal sinusoidal currentwith avalue‘PF>0.99’ from a single-phase AC input.
You can use the parallel circuit for up to three power factor correction modules to attain higher power. Such modules are supplied entirelyenclosed and encased to deliver protection against harsh conditions that are common in most industrial and transportation settings.
When Are Power Factor Correction Modules Used?
Power factor correction modules improve the power quality and accessibility by optimizing power consumptionand compensating for voltage drops due totransitory supply cuts, thus averts any negative impact on the process functioning and mechanisms.
Power factor correction (PFC) boosts the load’s power factor and improves the efficiency of the electrical distribution system. Linear loads with a low point power factor can be altered with a network of passivecapacitors and inductors. Non-linear loads require an active or passive power factor correction to counteract the distortion and increase the power factor.
Power factor correction can be started at a central substation and then spread out over a distribution system. Alternatively, it can also bebuilt into the power-consuming equipment.
Power factor correction modules arethoroughly tested solutions that are ideal for panel builders. It is a pre-wired in a sub-assembledlayoutto inserts it into the power factor correction cubicles that either functions as a standalone or is placed inside a Main Low Voltage Switchboard (MLVS). Similarly, power factor correction is available with or without an incorporated busbar for the various electrical distribution network types.
Technical dataFor Standard PFC (Comfort)and De-tuned PFC (Harmony):
- Frequency of 50 Hz
- Network voltage of 415V
- Capacitor rated voltage of 480V
- Reactive power between 25 to 100 kVAr
- Temperature class at class D (55°C)
- Standard requirements:IEC 61439-1, IEC 6192, EN 61439-1
- Elective busbar assembly
- Universal input voltage range of 85-264 Vrms
- Universal input frequency ranges between 47 – 63 Hz or 360 – 800 Hz
- The output power of up to 700 W
- Value of ≥0.99 Power Factor Correction
- High efficiency levels of>96% (230 Vrms) and >94% (115 Vrms)
- Current limit on internal inrush
- 10 V bias auxiliary supply
- At full power,100°C is the max baseplate temperature
- Suits operating temperature of-40°C to +100°C
- Backed by current sharing, up to three modules can be paralleled
Protection and Control Features:
- Power factor correction enabled
- Load Enabled, including the power out signal
- AC power good signal for HB only
- Clock synchronization for HB only
- Output current monitor and dynamically active current sharing for HB only
- Input current limit with auto-recovery short circuit protection
- Auto-recovery input for under orover-voltage protection
- Auto-recovery output for over-voltage protection
- Auto-recovery for thermal shutdown
- Optional busbar connections help save time during assembly.
- Facilitates fixing of crosspieces for the proper installation of modules inside the cubicles.
- 100% tested for quality and delivery before dispatch.
- No maintenance during the first five years, which means more operational cost-savings.
- Corrosion-resistantdue to the plastic envelop of the capacitors and PFC modules.
- Warranted capacitor life
- Enhances the power quality in terms of energy-saving, CO2 saving, and operational efficiency.
If you are looking for power factor correction modules, and have done your fair share of research, then we recommend you consult a licensed professional who can help you find the best PFC solutions. It is always better to get the guidance of experts when choosing such critical solutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Purpose Of Reactive Energy For Power Factor Correction Modules?
The purpose of Reactive Energy management is to improve Power FactorCorrection. This is usuallyaccomplished by generating reactive energy close up to the consuming loads viathe network connection of capacitor banks.
Can I Get Power Factor Correction Capacitors Within Motorpact?
Yes, you can find power factor correction capacitors that can be incorporated into the Motorpact cubicles. Usually, they are located beside the main contactor forDOL starters and Autotransformer starters.